Hendred Museum has a collection related to the history and memorabilia of East Hendred which is housed in a Grade 1 listed, former Carthusian Chapel built in 1453. This was originally dedicated as the Chapel of Jesus of Bethlehem.
The Chapel was closed and sold after the dissolution of the monastries in 1534. The building has long been known locally as Champs Chapel after the family which owned it prior to the 19th century. The Museum also has a reserve store in Snells Hall where it also displays the village horse drawn, hand-powered Fire Pump which dates from 1831.
Open April to October: every Sunday 2.30-4.30pm
November to Easter: closed but available through request
Admission - Free, but all donations are most welcome as we rely mostly on public support to keep on operating.