Our Lady's Abingdon School (OLA)
Our Lady's Abingdon (OLA) is a Catholic, independent, co-educational day school which welcomes boys and girls aged 7-18 of all faiths and none.
Our Lower School, Senior School and Sixth Form (OLA 6th) are located on a single site with adjacent sports playing field, within easy walking distance of Abingdon town centre.
What makes us different?
The school’s success comes from a combination of factors which create the unique OLA learning adventure. Each child embarks on a journey that uncovers their full potential and nurtures them to achieve, enabling them to thrive both academically and as a person.
- Small school: With under 400 pupils in total, OLA offers everyone the possibility of representing the school in a wide range of confidence-developing activities, including sport, drama, music, academic competitions and other chances to thrive, such as the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award.
- Small classes: We have a very high teacher to pupil ratio, meaning our class sizes are smaller than you will find elsewhere. OLA provides a more individual learning experience that fully nurtures academic potential.
- Fun and innovative learning: Helps pupils to be fully engaged in the academic life of the school leading to exam results that regularly exceed baseline predications.
- Highly praised pastoral care: Our staff work closely alongside our pupils to encourage, motivate and support each child, helping them to grow as confident, successful and happy individuals.
- Family community: OLA encourages an open dialogue between home and school through a range of effective channels.
- Catholic Christian ethos: This is the foundation of everything we do, creating the family community so valued by OLA parents. The school accepts children of all faiths and none and helps them aspire to such values as integrity, compassion, openness, forgiveness, reconciliation, co-operation and courage.
The school was founded in 1860 by the Sisters of Mercy, a religious order which begun in Dublin in the early nineteenth century led by Catherine McAuley. Until recent times the Sisters resident in Abingdon, played a major role in the life of the school, helping to strengthen the ethos of integrity and warmth that are two of its special characteristics. Governance of the school is now devolved to a body of lay trustees and a lay Principal.
Come and visit us at our next Open Morning.
We hope to see you soon.
Who to contact
- Contact Name
- Mrs Rowan Knowles
- Contact Position
- Head of Admissions
- 01235 544808 01235 544808
- Scan to visit this website
Find us on Facebook
Find us on Twitter
Find us on LinkedIn
Find us on Instagram
Where to go
- Our Lady's Abingdon School
- OX14 3PS
- View OX14 3PS on a map
- Age Ranges
- 7 to 18 years
- Providing services to
4 - 11 years (primary school age)
11 - 16 years (secondary school age)
16 + years
Record managed by Oxfordshire Family Information Service
See: Help on how to choose services safely