South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust (or SCAS for short) is part of the National Health Service (NHS). We were established on the 1 July 2006 following the merger of four ambulance trusts. On 1 March 2012, we became a foundation trust. Our emergency operations centres handle around half a million emergency and urgent calls each year.
We serve the counties of Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Hampshire and Oxfordshire, and Sussex and Surrey for NEPTS. This area has a residential population of over 7 million.
Our three main functions are:
• The accident and emergency service to respond to 999 calls
• The 111 service for when medical help is needed fast but it’s not a 999 emergency
• The Non-Emergency Patient Transport Service
We also offer:
• The Commercial Logistics collection and delivery service for our partners in the NHS
• Resilience and Specialist Operations offering medical care in hostile environments such as industrial accidents and natural disasters
• Community First Responders are volunteers trained by us to provide life-saving treatment