Accredited Community Support Officers (Community Wardens) are employed by Cherwell District Council and cover the areas of Banbury and Bicester. They have been accredited by Thames Valley Police and are able to use certain powers to assist them to carry out their daily role.
Community Support Officers have powers to issue fixed penalty notices for the offences of littering and dog fouling, and they have access to the police issue Airwave radio, enabling them to work more closely with their police colleagues.
Community Support Officer duties and responsibilities include:
- High visibility patrols in town centres as well as in residential areas,
- Tackling anti-social behaviour using their powers to cut crime, and the fear of crime,
- Attending community meetings, forums and assisting Thames Valley Police with intelligence gathering,
- Carrying out joint patrols and observations with the council partners,
- Reporting any damage of public property to the relevant agency,
- Liaising with local schools, youth organisations and community centres, and providing advice or assistance.