Monday - Morning (1 space)
Tuesday OR Thursday – Full day (1 space)
Wednesday – Morning (1 space)
I started Songbird Childcare in 2017, and can provide childminding, day-nannying and babysitting on a part-time basis within a small setting. Minded children are welcomed into our family of 3: myself, partner Jackson and son Ruben (now nearly 3).
My previous career was a physicist, and I carry my inquisitiveness and improvisation into my current practice. I’m also really into Swing and Samba dancing, and love to perform at Cowley Road Carnival and May Morning, so I love dancing with the kids and seeing how they express themselves.
I run a small practice, exceeding the Ofsted required adult: child ratios. My priorities as a child carer are:
- To form a bond with each child, making them feel calm, secure and ready to explore, and to provide a homely base.
- To learn about the needs of each child, about what delights them and how to help them thrive.
- To enable children to form some of their first peer-to-peer friendships, and to develop social skills.
- To offer gentle direction and encouragement as they learn about the world around them.
- To give parents and carers as much flexibility as possible and as much feedback as desired.
- To include regular outings within the local community such as parks, playgroups, the library and museums.
- To give even the youngest children formative experience in music, singing and French language.
- To introduce children to the wonders of the natural world and concepts of conservation
- To learn together with the children in my care (Reggio-Emilia Approach)
FACILITIES & OUTINGS
The living room of our maisonette is the children’s play-room and there is a separate sleep-room for napping. I try to create a calm, nurturing environment without skimping on the fun. We are non-smokers and have no pets.
There is a little bit of front garden with our property where I keep a potted herb garden, and have space to dig, and we do window-sill gardening in the summer. There are at least 7 parks within easy walking distance from our home. I have a tandem stroller for outings, and outside toys to take to the park.
We have lots of toys and books in English and French. Activities we do almost every day include music (with xylophone, drum and shakers), reading, visiting the park and playing with toys. I give little french lessons and little bits of yoga/exercise sessions and regularly do craft mini-projects - making cards, toy boats etc. We have no TV, and do not use our tablet or laptops during childminding sessions.
I also have an Annual Pass to the Botanic Gardens. Note that I do not use a car, though I regularly walk with the children and push/carry them.
I am Ofsted registered, and qualified in the Childminding Practice and the Early Years Foundation Stage, Paediatric First Aid, Safeguarding (General and Lead). My previous client has said she is happy to provide a reference, if required.
FEES & DISCOUNTS
Childminding fees are from £5.50 per hour (depending on session duration).
Babysitting fees are from £10 per hour
Nannying fees from £10 per hour
I am signed up to the Tax-Free childcare scheme, which can provide up to £2000 towards the cost of childcare per child per year. Prices quoted above are before discount applied.