Domestic abuse against men

Find out about domestic abuse (or domestic violence), and where to get support if it's happening to you.

Domestic abuse, also called domestic violence, includes physical, emotional and sexual abuse in couple relationships or between family members.

Anybody can be affected by domestic abuse, and anyone can be an abuser. It doesn't just happen to women - men can be victims too, whether their partner is a man or a woman.

According to data from the Crime Survey for England and Wales, at least 4% of men aged 16-59 experienced domestic abuse in 2014/15.

If it's happening to you, it's important to tell someone and to remember that you're not alone.

The Men's Advice Line (call 0808 801 0327 Monday-Friday 9am-5pm; or email can refer men to local places that can help, such as health services and voluntary organisations.

Talking to someone

It can be difficult for men to say they need help, and to know where to go once they've decided to talk to someone. 

"Men can be reluctant to say that they are victims, and they worry that they won't be believed," says Ippo Panteloudakis, who manages the Men's Advice Line.

"What I'd say to these men is: there's more help out there than you think. The key is to talk to someone."

Find out where to go for help

Domestic abuse is very serious, whether it happens to men or women. Don't feel that you have to put up with it.

How do I know if I am experiencing abuse?

There are different kinds of abuse.

Emotional abuse

 The person abusing you may:

  • belittle you, or put you down
  • blame you for the abuse or for arguments
  • deny that abuse is happening, or play it down
  • isolate you from your family and friends
  • make unreasonable demands for your attention

Threats and intimidation

The person abusing you may: 

  • threaten to hurt you or kill you
  • destroy things that belong to you
  • stand over you, invade your personal space
  • threaten to kill themselves, and/or the children
  • read your emails, texts or letters
  • harass or follow you 

Physical abuse

The person abusing you may hurt you in a number of ways. These could include:

  • slapping, hitting or punching
  • pushing or shoving
  • biting, kicking
  • burning you
  • choking you
  • throwing things
  • holding you down

Sexual abuse

Sexual abuse can happen to anyone, whether they're male or female. The person abusing you may: 

  • touch you in a way you don't want to be touched
  • make unwanted sexual demands
  • hurt you during sex
  • pressure you to have sex
  • pressure you to have unsafe sex (for example, not using a condom) 

Your partner may also accuse you of flirting or cheating on them. If you ever feel scared of your partner, or you have changed your behaviour because you're afraid of what your partner might do, you could be in an abusive relationship.

"As well as talking to someone when you realise you're in an abusive relationship, try to gather evidence about what's happening," says Ippo. This could include taking photographs of any injuries or bruises, and reporting it to your doctor. "You could also keep a diary of what happens, and the story of the abuse will show."

Try not to respond with violence. "Violence breeds more violence, and if you retaliate then this can make the abuser's violence worse," advises Ippo. "There's also the risk that they will call the police, and you will be seen as the abuser."

Help for men who've experienced domestic abuse

You don't have to wait for an emergency situation to get help. You can: 

The Men's Advice Line is a confidential, freephone helpline for men who have experienced, or are experiencing, domestic abuse from their partners or ex-partners. It's available to all men in the UK.

The Men's Advice Line staff are trained to listen and look at ways of helping you. These might include: 

  • providing information and practical advice
  • giving you time to talk through what's happening
  • signposting you to other specialist organisations, such as domestic violence units; mental health organisations; emotional support services; services for gay, bisexual and trans (GBT) men; and organisations providing immigration, housing and legal advice; parenting advice and support; and help with child contact issues

Forced marriage happens to men as well as women. For forced marriage and "honour" crimes, contact Karma Nirvarna (0800 5999 247) or The Forced Marriage Unit (020 7008 0151).

Galup (0800 999 5428) provides support to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people experiencing domestic violence.

Survivors UK (0845 122 1201) helps the survivors of male rape and sexual abuse.

If you decide to leave

The first step in escaping an abusive situation is realising that you're not alone and it's not your fault. Try to get advice from an organisation such as the Men's Advice Line before you go.

If you're considering leaving, be careful who you tell. It's important that your partner doesn't know where you're going.

Sexual assault

Men who have been sexually assaulted can get confidential help, treatment and support at a sexual assault referral centre. Find your nearest sexual assault referral centre.

Article provided by NHS Choices

See original on NHS Choices

Skip back to top of page